Saturday, February 7, 2009

Weschler's Results

Okay folks, so for the start of 2009 we've examined 4/5 auctions..and I seem to be picking pieces of which only half sell. I haven't picked extremely odd pieces and always find lots that I think appeal to many, but I'm hitting 50/50. Its very interesting and what makes my love of the auction process only more ingrained.

It is obvious to me in these media driven times of forgone apocalypse, that there is money out there to buy fine pieces and it says to me, that our world may not be on the verge of the abyss as our talking heads keep screaming at us to believe, but that we should buy prudently on the best pieces.

I declare it, "The year of the smart buyer." I declare," Buy if you can.these deals won't last long!"



I just went through Weschler's catalogue for their February 7th auction and will get down there to view the following items up close. Now, this isn't a Christies Auction in Paris, but that makes it all the more fun. Its real!Regular readers know that I have great faith in Weschlers and have accumulated some great pieces here. Also at this time of year and especially in these trying economic times I believe this is a great opportunity to grab that unique something. Secondly, what a better way to spend a cold February day than at an auction, okay its what I like to do. I've only picked a few items that caught my eye but you can view the entire catalogue here. I think there are some real deals and you know how much I love a great deal. Lets take a look.


Lot 48
Chinese Export Gilt Decorated Black Lacquer Quatreform Tea Caddy
Mid-19th Century
The hinged lid decorated with five lozenge-form vignettes opening to view an engraved pewter caddy with ivory knob, the sides with cartouche reserves, all raised on giltwood and partial polychrome decorated dragon head feet.
Height: 6 in (15.2 cm); Width: 8-3/4 in (22.2 cm); Depth: 9 in (22.9 cm)
Estimate $1,000-1,500

For a similar example see Lyon & Turnbull, Edinburgh, Fine Antiques, September 24, 2008, lot 144.
SOLD OR $2000.00. A beautiful box and something I'd love to have.


Lot 63
Large Pair of Chinese Cloisonné Enamel and Gilt Bronze Figures of Herons
20th Century
Each in three sections. Each lacking attributes in their beaks.
Height: 78-1/2 in (199.4 cm); Diameter of base: 21 in (53.3 cm)
Estimate $1,000-2,000


Each with small areas of enamel losses and pitting, particularly to the body and base
SOLD FOR $17,000.00. How could these have been so badly estimated. Someone knew something. Provenance? Age? Big questions here???


Lot 102
Japanese Copper-Alloy Figure of an Elephant
Sealed twice Atsuyoshi and Akima, Meiji Period (1868-1912)
With dark brown patina.
Height: 7 in (17.8 cm); Length: 10 in (25.4 cm)
Estimate $500-700.I just love elephants. ;)
SOLD FOR $350.00. Cheap Republicans..Well I think they got a deal!


Lot 174
Herend 'Rothschild Bird' Dinner Service. A Huge Dinner Service that every preppy girl would love to have. See the catalogue for a description of the full service. This could be a major buy.
SOLD FOR $10,000.00. Exactly what I thought it was worth. Lucky Lady out there?


Lot 308
Set of Six George III Style Mahogany Side Chairs
Late 19th-Early 20th Century
Each having a brown and blue striped silk upholstered seat.

Estimate $1,000-1,500. A beautiful set of chairs for $1,500.00. Hey newlyweds!!
DID NOT SELL...now that's a mystery.


Lot 326
George III Black Chinoiserie Tall Case Clock
Walter Brodhurst, Lichfield, Mid-18th Century
Having a rectangular brass face with applied spandrels, signed Walt Brodhurst Lichfield, the two-train movement with date aperture and seconds subsidiary. Cracks to front of base; repairs to pediment; redecorated and with cracks and losses to painted surface.
Height: 84 in (213.4 cm)
Estimate $3,000-5,000. Lots of dings from the picture. I just hope Michael Smith doesn't see this. Yea, I want this in my living room.
DID NOT SELL. I heard it didn't look to great up close.


Lot 331
George III Oak Welsh Dresser
Last Quarter 18th Century
In two parts; the upper section with two plate shelves, the lower section with three aligned drawers. Upper section by association; brasses replaced and lacking one bail handle.
Height: 55-3/4 in (141.6 cm); Width: 62 in (157.5 cm); Depth: 16-1/2 in (41.9 cm)
Estimate $1,000-1,500. Its a married piece but I love it. Can you imagine it filled with Delft or white pottery in a beautiful kitchen. This is very original and one of a kind looking.
SOLD FOR $900.00. That must have been a great deal! I didn't see it up close but loved the stats on it.


Lot 390
Biedermeier Birchwood Secrétaire à Abattant
Circa 1820
Some losses and repair to veneer, especially to the cornice.
Height: 68-1/4 in (173.4 cm); Width: 44 in (111.8 cm); Depth: 21-1/4 in (54 cm)
Estimate $2,000-4,000. Every home should have at least one piece. I have just the place.
It didn't sell!


Lot 323
George III Mahogany Slant-Front Bureau-Bookcase
Predominantly Last Quarter 18th Century
In two parts; the mullion-glazed door upper section enclosing a green and champagne chinoiserie silk covered interior with two shelves; the lower section having a slanting hinged writing lid opening to view a stepped interior with a central arched prospect door flanked by fixed pilasters and an arrangement of six valanced-door pigeonholes over five blocked and serpentine drawers. Restored; brasses replaced.
Height: 81-1/2 in (207 cm); Width: 42-1/4 in (107.3 cm); Depth: 21 in (53.3 cm)
Estimate $1,500-2,500. A lovely piece for a traditional room.
SOLD FOR $1,900.00. Congrats to the buyer...a deal for a lovely piece.


Lot 327
George III Style Ebonized Wood Inlaid Figured Mahogany Sideboard
20th Century
Having a frieze drawer flanked by two convex panel doors. Top with scattered surface scratches.
Height: 38 in (96.5 cm); Width: 72 in (182.9 cm); Depth: 20-3/4 in (52.7 cm)
Estimate $1,000-1,500. If you got this for $1,000.00 you'd be walking on air, and it could happen!
It didn't happen. It didn't sell. It must have had some major flaws.

2 comments:

columnist said...

Your Biedermeier desk is much prettier than the one I featured in my blog yesterday. I wonder what it fetched?

cotedetexas said...

I want those herons and that clock - I would be most grateful!!

Joni