Sunday, December 28, 2008

The Year To Come in Auctions

I hope you all had a Very Merry Christmas and extend wishes for 2009 which I hope will see calmer times. Homer's Odd is going to focus more sharply this coming year on the auction and art world market. I have found that it is a sound prognosticator on how the markets in all categories are weathering this financial storm and besides, I just love an auction. The season starts again anew towards the end of January and I will focus on a few local and even fewer international events. It takes much time and I still have a busy 9 to 5.

I do think this video from Sotheby's on the modern art market is important and worth viewing. From this amateur's perspective, I have always believed that much of the art, pronounced "modern," in the last fifty plus years is rubbish, with a few exceptions. It's like the great Potter Stewart of the Supreme Court saying," I know it when I see it."

There are a great many works of art from the last thirty years that have stopped me in my tracks at their brilliance, but there are equally as many that remind me that the Emperor as no clothes.

I think this video gives us all much to think about.Southeby's;Contemporary Art Market: A Candid Look from the Inside.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for providing this video on the art market as it is sound advice.

J.Covington said...

I too am geared up for the new Auction season and some of the delicious "finds" that will be floating around!

Here's to: Sold!