Sunday, December 14, 2008

Big Man Returns


I took notice last week that the Hirshhorn Museum (a big favorite and almost always a quiet museum here in DC) is bringing back Ron Mueck's, "Untitled (Big Man)" as part of their "Strange Bodies," exhibition, starting December 11, 2008. I remember seeing Big Man the first time around a few years ago. I was on my lunch break from my then job just off the mall and made my few times a year tour of the museum. I wasn't expecting "Big Man," when I turned a corner, which is hard to do at the Hirshorn as it is circular, and jumped back at the sight of him.

I had never seen anything like this piece in my life and stood stunned and eventually thrilled. I have since become a huge fan of the artist Ron Mueck and was lucky enough to see an expansive exhibition of his talent in Edinburgh a couple of years ago. For those of you unaware of this untrained artist's work,here is a great video of some of his most famous pieces.

No comments: