Sunday, February 14, 2010

A Very Nice DC Auction, Delayed By Snow, Results



Due to the amazing snowstorms the Weschler's auction was re-scheduled to yesterday.
Weschlers Auction House here in DC is having an unusually large mid-winter auction on February 6th. It took me a good hour to peruse the entire catalog and I had so many things catch my eye that I recommend fans to take a look at the whole listing. You can do that here. Here's a hint, if you love Flora Danica, there is a huge amount of beautiful pieces.

Prices seem to have stabilized but there are a few pieces featured below that I think are great deals. I hope its a cold rainy day and that I have it off because I'd love to spend a couple of hours at this event. So here we go, just remember I saw many other things that looked great.




Lot 350
Charles X Applewood Secrétaire à Abattant Second Quarter 19th Century
Estimate: $800 - 1200
SOLD FOR $550.00. Oh my gosh what a steal!


George IV Rosewood Four-Tier What-Not Circa 1825
Estimate: $1000 - 1500
SOLD FOR $2,200.00. Wow that estimate was low.


Regency Parcel Gilt and Decorated Black Painted Beechwood Armchair Early 19th Century
Estimate: $500 - 700
SOLD FOR $900.00 A great deal for such a nice looking chair.



George III Style Walnut Bedside Stand Early 20th Century
Estimate: $300 - 500
SOLD FOR $350.00. Fair and a very nice buy.


George III Style Mahogany Oval Extension Dining Table First Half 20th Century
Estimate: $600 - 800
SOLD FOR $550.00. A tremendous deal. This is why I always tell newlyweds to go to the auction house.




Pair of Victorian Tole Painted Cornucopia Wall Vases Last Half 19th Century
Estimate: $1000 - 1500
SOLD FOR $750.00. Very decorative but still not cheap.



Set of Twelve Royal Copenhagen 'Flora Danica' Reticulated Luncheon Plates Dated 1980-1984
Estimate: $6000 - 8000
SOLD FOR $4,800.00. If its your thing, you got a good deal.



Meissen Ornithological Serving Dish and Six Plates Outside Decorated, Late 19th-Early 20th Century
Estimate: $400 - 600
SOLD FOR $550.00. Fair.




Two Georgian Silver Mounted Shell Bowl Tea Caddy Spoons and a Snuff Box 18th-19th Century
Estimate: $400 - 600
SOLD FOR $550.00


Pair of Continental Silver Plate Single-Light Sconces Circa 1900
Estimate: $400 - 600
SOLD FOR $1,600.00. Hmmm, some serious bidding there.




Chinese Export 'Famille Rose' Charger on Later Stand Qianlong Period (1736-1795)
Estimate: $1500 - 2500
DID NOT SELL. I kinda think there might have been an age problem there.



Tabriz Rug Second Quarter 20th Century 13 ft 8 in x 10 ft 1 in (417 x 307 cm)
Estimate: $1000 - 1500
DID NOT SELL


Lot 360
Biedermeier Flame Birch Caned Bergère Circa 1825
Estimate: $400 - 600
DID NOT SELL. How did that happen?

10 comments:

columnist said...

The sconces are beautiful. I shall go and peruse voraciously!

My Notting Hill said...

hmm...I think I may go to that. Especially liked the caned chair.

Karena said...

Beautiful choices to feature, wish I could be there!!

An Aesthete's Lament said...

I'll take the Meissen plates and the Georgian-shell thingamabobs.

The Down East Dilettante said...

What a surprise when I opened this post----the woman who owned many of these things was a client of mine for years, and the black chair with thee turban-clad figures, and the georgian style stand, were both purchased years ago at my store. It inspired me to do a post about the chair over at my blog. Had fun then going through the catalog to see what other old friends I recognized. There were many. The owner had been a founder of the Washington Antiques Show, and possessed very refined tastes. thanks for providing me a cyber re-union with some old favorites.

decorating fabric said...

These are gorgeous. I love the plates, it’s very authentic designs, and it’s just gorgeous.

Boracay hotel said...

These items are beautiful, it must be very expensive.

Martha said...

Very interesting. I can't believe some of the prices being what I consider low. Beautiful things!

DC by Design said...

I want that caned chair, darnit! But tea caddy spoons? What are those?

sam said...

interesting blog. It would be great if you can provide more details about it. Thanks you
auction ideas