Thursday, June 25, 2009

75th Annual Grosvenor House Art & Antiques Fair



I have always loved the work of Sir Alfred Munnings. I grew up in horse country and have always been aware of his work. That said, I was so glad to see the Bearded Roman, one of my favorite blogs, agree with my thoughts of what a great painter he was. I put him right there with Sargeant for capturing a world long gone. The Bearded Roman has a great look at the Grosvenor House Art and Antiques Fair. Well worth your time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too grew up in horse country, Kansas City during the 1950's and to be exact Saddlebred horse country. My family lived south of town and we became aquainted with the trainer at Longview Farms owned by Loula Long Combs. Her show place was built just after the turn of the century by her lumberman father and included a trotting track and grandstands, club house, dairy barn, stud barn, numerous out buildings, lake, green houses, its own power plant and water system as well as homes for the employees and a small church. Mrs. combs showed hackney ponys and had a gorgous tack room with her trophies and some pictures. I have a framed Munnings from her tack room that is undoubedly a poster. The picture is of a thoroughbred walking to the start on race day. As you said, Munnings captures the moment with style and grace. You can smell the track and hear the crowd. Thank you for bringing his work to the attention of your readers. Ann