Friday, July 25, 2008

The Auction Hound Yelps


As loyal followers of Homer know, I love auctions and comment mainly on DC auctions but also about pieces and collections from all over the place. Not only do I love antiques but I love the art of the deal. Today's Wall Street Journal reports that prices for antique furniture are way down here in the states. The story is here.

The report seems to fault the decline on two reasons. One, that in these sour economic times, the market has been flooded with people selling their treasures and secondly, that the lovely Chippendale cocktail table, my first buy, has gone out of style. It goes on to say that all the design magazines are displaying modern streamlined products.

Whatever the reason, I say HOGWASH and RUN don't WALK down to the auction houses. If the prices they site are true, then now is the time to buy. It only makes me want even more to open up a business. A classic bow front is exactly that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I totally agree. Antique lovers the world over should BUY BUY BUY, Australia included. And those that are throwing out : Throw it my way!

See my latest blog on same topic.