Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I'd Buy It For The Staircase....Maybe


Past readers know that I love staircases and this story caught my eye. Its about a house in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, built on speculation before the downfall of Detroit and now on the auction block on May 28th. The staircase from the basement caught my eye. I'd seen it before and of course instantly recognized where the original design resided. It is of course based on the Tulip Staircase at the Queens House in England. See Below.


Detroit News wrote about the auction and about the woes this mansion has brought its builders. Linked within the story is a slideshow of the house which has never been lived in. Its looks like much sweat and hard labor went into building such a beautiful home, whose size and grandeur was meant for another day. Haven't we seen this before? Here is the story.

2 comments:

An Aesthete's Lament said...

You're right—for the staircase, I'd buy it.

Giles Cook at Whispering Lazuli said...

That is a beautiful staircase... I want one of those....

What I would also like is the floor in the Queen's House - and I assume you mean the Queens House at Greenwich - anyone know how to draw it up.... I have tried several times despite being quite the draughtsman ...

In fact I would like the whole of the Queen's House, but I guess there can be only one... especially by the great Inigo Jones!